By: Mary Sergeant, PRCA Mobile Student Affairs Chairman
When I was in college a little over four years ago the last thing I wanted to do was add another meeting to my calendar. But, through being involved in organizations on campus and in my community, I saw my abilities strengthen, network expand and opportunities for jobs and internships grow. PRCA is a fantastic opportunity for communications, public relations and marketing students in Mobile, and below are my top five reasons why you should join!
- Professional Development – PRCA Mobile prides itself on providing its members with countless opportunities to grow in their professions. From monthly luncheons and speakers to our yearly Toolkit workshop, there are several ways students can broaden their knowledge as members.
- Networking – Speaking from experience as a recent college grad (and don’t tell your professors I said this), it’s not about the grades you make but the hands you shake. Our monthly meetings and after-hours events provide students with a variety of opportunities to network with local professionals. You never know when a great conversation can turn into an internship or job opportunity.
- Mentorship – Last year we started Elevate along with AAF and AIGA. Elevate is a six-month mentorship program where junior- and senior-level college students are paired with local professionals in a communications field they are interested in. Our mentors and mentees meet every month to discuss important topics such as resumes, portfolios, interviews and more. Click here to apply for the 2019/2020 class.
- Scholarship Opportunities – Every year we award one student the Bettie C. Hudgens Memorial Student Award. This honor is given to a junior- or senior-level student studying public relations and/or communications at the University of Mobile, University of South Alabama or Spring Hill College. For consideration, students must submit several items including a letter of recommendation. The award is a $500 cash scholarship and admission to our annual Toolkit workshop. Contact Mary Sergeant to learn more.
- Hands-On Experience – We are always looking for student volunteers to help us make our monthly and yearly events successful. Our Toolkit Planning Committee and Christmas Party Committee are fantastic ways to learn more, meet professionals and try something new!
If all of these reasons intrigue you, contact our student affairs chair Mary Sergeant to learn how you can get involved with our organization. We can’t wait to meet you!